Thursday, September 22, 2005

Frank Deford Officiating story

Hugh has called my attention to this NPR piece by Frank Deford.

Best quote in it is from an Italian female psychologist:

"The referee has a magnitude and a verility that the players, with their earrings, their bleached hair, and their showgirl poses, have progressively lost."

I just asked my wife if that is true. She said "Yes. Of course, honey!" She then said: "I know where my bread is buttered."

Deford mentions the Miller Lite ad with the silly refs. I like that series because it is, at heart, affectionate to the refs. The Motel 6 ads with the ref who is pouring sugar past his coffee cup and onto the floor? Not so much. But maybe I'm hypersensitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization