Sunday, November 20, 2005

Getting back into shape

I'm not an athlete. I'm not a big fan of physical fitness--I find that it's a lot of effort.

For the past decade, refereeing has been my physical fitness. I get out there and do a few games a week, which I love, and presto, I've got my exercise. It was especially effective last year, when I lost a much-needed 30 pounds. This year, I'm hoping to take it up to the next level...

but I read something this week that made me realize I can't do that.

Officials who use refereeing as their sole form of exercise actually are doing themselves a disservice. Their heart rate goes up very, very high a couple of times a game (usually at the beginning of a big fast-break sprint), and that's dangerous. Officials who work out outside their games are in much better physical condition.

So I had a meeting with a trainer yesterday. He sent me around to lift heavy objects with various muscles. It got my heart rate up. So now I have two tasks...lifting heavy objects twice a week, and doing cardio work twice a week. This will be on top of my games, not instead of them.

Come Februrary, I hope to be in the best shape of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization