Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sartorial matters


First varsity game of the year tomorrow! Time to get with it! This year, I feel totally ready, I think because of the off-season ball I've done.

Tomorrow will also be my first time wearing the new grey shirt (as pictured here). This is the first year the grey shirts have been acceptable in our part of the world...and let me tell you...I HATE the grey shirts! What the hell was wrong with the black-and-white? Black-and-white...they MEAN officiating. The two colors symbolize the official's interest in all of the game's participants. There didn't used to be the need to consult with partners on what kind of shirt to wear (well, at least not since the old, ugly collared shirts were phased out a decade ago and replaced with the much-nicer V-neck). But now, every time I call my partner, it'll be a matter of asking "Gee, grey or black-and-white tonight?"

There have, of course, been worse officials' uniforms. The AFL had red stripes. Ugh. Worse, my favorite league ever--the defunct ABL women's hoops league--had referees wear white shirts. WHITE! The one color one of the teams was guaranteed to be wearing! Who the heck thought of that?

The grey? Well, some teams wear grey, for one. But, to me, a guy in grey just doesn't look like an official. He looks like a businessman. I don't like it. Nonetheless, starting tomorrow, I'm wearing it if my partner asks.

But if I'm choosing, I'm wearing the classic black-and-white.

2 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger John Burzynski said...

I guess that we are just 'old school'...I like the zebra look too.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger tommyspoon said...

I loathe that shade of grey. I want it banned from MLB as well as official-wear. But at least the shirt you have pictured here has stripes. Those awful NBA shirts that have NO stripes just look ridiculous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization