Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Game Log 1/9/2007: I scratched his back, he scratched mine.

Another Best Of All Time record has been established: Best solo game.

I had a high-quality junior high game early in the afternoon. I left work and got a call on my cellphone right away: my partner was stuck in traffic that wasn't moving. "I'm on my way," he said, thinking he'd make it.

Right before tipoff, he called again. "I'm not much closer," he said. "I hope I can make it by halftime.

I took the coaches aside and said "I'll do my best. I'll probably miss some, but I'll work as hard as I can."

I started the game off with an off-ball call! Brilliant move...a way to say "hey, kids, I won't just be watching the ball."

Early on...about three minutes into the game...I noticed an awfully loud fan for White. While I'm working alone? Screw that. I had the coach and the table shut them up.

Things were actually quite smooth...the kids were talented and well-coached, and the game was close. Both coaches took the time to compliment me at halftime. I might have missed a call or two on shots where I had poor angles, and I had to call a jump ball on a game that went out of bounds through traffic on the opposite side of the floor. But beyond that, the game was nearly perfect.

Had a voicemail at halftime. He was closer...

He arrived between the third and fourth quarter. The game ended tightly (fouling by the losing team, time outs, etc.). It was rock-solid.

There was a problem, however. With three and a half minutes left in the game, um, well, something went wrong with my lunch. Seriously. I mean, I was having trouble running due to the discomfort.

In one of the many late times out, I told him to tell the coaches for the second (junior high "JV") game that I was sick and I'd be out as soon as I could.

I joined him with about 3 minutes left in the first quarter, and we had another close game. Clean, mostly, but there was a foul disparity that couldn't seem to be cleaned up. In any event, by then, I was a stud from working the first game alone, so I didn't get any complaints.

THINGS I DID WELL: I think I slowed down, handled one-man mechanics well, was totally in charge
THINGS TO WORK ON: Lost focus a tad in second game, lunch menu
NEXT UP: Huge varsity game tomorrow night. Two top teams in the state square off, and I'm on the game. Dig it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization