Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Game Log 12/6/06: Almost a good one...

Tonight's game featured a state-ranked team against an up-and-comer. The up-and-comer led in the third quarter for a while, but the state-ranked team put them away late (but they don't look good enough to be state ranked, IMHO). My partners were one college-level official who I respect and a guy at about my level on the list or a little below.

I'd say my performance was good but not great. We were evaluated, and he was complimentary, but I need to refocus on refereeing the defense.

When I'm lead, I'd say I do a pretty good job of reffing the defense. But I had a player control foul I want back. It was on a fast break, and I was C. The ballhandler drove from my side. While I thought I had the defense, and was confident she was there first, the coach and most of the crowd disagreed. More importantly, when I asked them after the game, my partners disagreed. The college guy said that I was refereeing the offense because I was hugging the line. Next time I go down the floor and there's a break, I'm going to get the hell away from the sideline. From out on the floor, I'll be able to see the daylight between the players, and from that way, I won't have any choice but to watch the defense.

I feel like I watch the D as lead well, and when the ball is on the perimeter. But I have to do it all the time, and I think that making myself move to get angles will make that easier.

There was another weird call. A Green player launched a three pointer right before the shot clock went off. The ball hit the rim. On the rebound, my partner called an incorrect shot clock violation. I should have run over to him, but I decided to let it go because White was getting the ball anyway (they had the rebound, so if partner had called nothing or correctly called an inadvertent whistle, we'd have had the same result). I didn't want it to look like I was showing him up...but I should have headed in. I had the shot, and instead of looking like I was showing him up, we looked like we didn't know the shot clock rule, which is worse.

So, going into a huge, intense, high-pressure game on Friday, I'd say I'm ready...but I want to be great that night, not just good.

THINGS I DID WELL: Call selection, clock knowledge (we had a TERRIBLE table, and I caught many mistakes).

THINGS TO WORK ON: Focus on D on drives, don't slouch, crisp up mechanics. Should run a little more...I don't -need- to, but it'll look better.

NEXT UP: Big game on Friday. Stoked. (But first I have the freshman game.)

3 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The college guy said that I was refereeing the offense because I was hugging the line.

I know I'm checking in late (I've been busy with my own games), but what the heck does that even mean?!? You were reffing the offense b/c you were hugging the line? I don't understand the connection.

The sideline is where you're supposed to be in the C (at least to start). You can certainly find the defender from there, unless the drive is going directly from your position to the basket.

When you play it back in your mind, are you seeing the defense?

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

To be honest, yes, I'm seeing the defense when I play it back in my mind. I still would like the call back, but I was looking at the defense.

I still think I can get out on the floor on similar drives in the future. If my feet are in cement in God's Decreed Center Position, I'll get straightlined on 85% of all drives. Gotta get a step or two out on the floor.

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If my feet are in cement in God's Decreed Center Position, I'll get straightlined on 85% of all drives. Gotta get a step or two out on the floor.

I understand your point, but that's an exaggeration, right? You'll be straight-lined if the drive moves from your position directly to the basket. That's not going to happen 85% of the time.

Moving onto the floor as C is a good idea many times, I agree. Particularly if the action is "below" your position. At camp, they talk about this as "having a Trail mentality". You don't want to be on the floor, just for the sake of being on the floor. But if it gives you a good look through the play, then by all means, take a step in and up.

For drives that start at the foul line and go to the basket, there's no reason to move onto the floor. You're going to see through that play all the way to the basket. In fact, if you do move up onto the floor, you're going to be looking at the dribbler's back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization