Sunday, June 01, 2008

Camp Log Day Two

Best camp I've ever been to. I only did two halves today. Three were originally scheduled, but I was bumped from the third because they wanted to see another kid get his shot in a varsity game. I take that as a good sign...being told they've "seen enough" after mostly-complimentary input means I'll probably get a decent schedule this year.

The other game was followed by some really intense video breakdown. The clinician stood with the three of us and would regularly pause the tape, saying things like "Okay...Lead needs to think about rotating here. Center could take a step or two onto the floor. Trail has a good angle on post play." It took nearly three times as long to break down the tape as it did to officiate the half! He complimented several of my calls (had a good, tight PC foul in transition that was right). But on tape, I see that my officiating as C was flat-out not good.

I'm not comfortable out on the floor (like I said yesterday), but I need to get off the damn sideline when the play is on the other side of the court. Same as yesterday, I'm not close at all to the play. I've learned just how bad that looks. When I call fouls from there, it flat-out looks bad. Plus, I NEVER MOVE. I look like a potted plant, standing in The Sacred C Spot. (That last part accidentally sounds dirty.) A little movement, especially onto the floor, and I'll take less guff (and likely make better calls to boot).

The second game was challenging--very fast-paced, featuring the same team I had on Friday. The coach who I said was that "not bad" on Friday was bad today--likely because his team lost by 20. Didn't say anything to him, mostly because we only had one half with him. He also knows officials won't approach him as much when he's not talking to us, but sort of bitching in the play-by-play from hell. On top of that distraction, it was a new record for the fastest game I've ever seen.

But in spite of that, my clinician said I was getting better at recognizing rotations and also doing better moving as C. I was able to improve during a difficult game.

So, after six halves of basketball, I have a tangible, accurate list of what to work on:

--Running style. (I will find a personal trainer who's expert at running.)
--Posture. (I will slow down on the spot and make sure I'm up straight.)
--Verbiage on the spot. (I will slow down on the spot.)
--More time in closedown as Lead.
--More C movement.

I normally avoid summer ball, since if I reffed too much, I'd start hating it. But I want to get right back out there to put all of this into action. And there's a good girls' tournament in town next week. I'll be putting in my availability as soon as I post this.

2 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been away for a few weeks, but I'm back and thought I'd make a couple camp-type comments. Obviously, I'm not trying to tell you to ignore your observers, but I'm going to disagree slightly with some of your comments about the C position.

I need to get off the damn sideline when the play is on the other side of the court.

Why, exactly? You're not officiating that play on the other side of the court. When you're in the C, you're officiating screens and other weak-side action. You've got 2 guy/gals to officiate that play on the other side of the court. Let them do their job.

If there's literally no one on your side of the court, then it might "feel" better to step onto the court, but I don't really see a need for it.

When I call fouls from there, it flat-out looks bad. Plus, I NEVER MOVE.

It sounds to me (from the perfect vantage point of my office chair) that the problem is not where you call the foul from, but the fact that you don't move. If you have a call that is near the border of your primary, you can always take a running step or two to close the distance; and even if it really makes no difference to the call (and it doesn't), it looks more like you're "right on top of it".

A little movement, especially onto the floor, and I'll take less guff (and likely make better calls to boot).

This is just my personal view, obviously, but the only times that I stand on the court as the C are (1) a throw-in where all 10 players are stacked on the opposite lane line; and (2) a drive or jumper between me and the endline. I need to see through the play and sometimes I need to move a step or two onto the court to see between the shooter and the defender.

Other than that, I stay pretty close to the sacred C spot.

Sounds like you had a really good camp. Congrats. I hope it turns into something good for you next season. My camp is next month.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BloggingRef said:
I need to get off the damn sideline when the play is on the other side of the court.

MassRef said:
Why, exactly? You're not officiating that play on the other side of the court. When you're in the C, you're officiating screens and other weak-side action. You've got 2 guy/gals to officiate that play on the other side of the court. Let them do their job.

If there's literally no one on your side of the court, then it might "feel" better to step onto the court, but I don't really see a need for it.


If BloggingRef is saying that the ball and some of the players are on the opposite side of the court then I agree with MassRef. You should not take a step or 2 onto the court if there are players on C's side. BUT, if all the players are on the other side of the court then it will usually improve your ability to officiate those players if you take a step or two onto the court.

Newer officials have no problem making calls across the paint in Lead but they are much less likely to make the same call in C outside of their primary. If a call is needed and you are far away from it then you are more likely to suck on your whistle. Take a step or two onto the court and you will "feel" much more confident in calling that hold or illegal screen off ball. Officials tend to become more passive as the C official and anything that will make them more aggressive is a good thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization