Thursday, January 28, 2010

Game Log 1/28/2010: Coach management

Some ticklish situations tonight in my JV/Varsity girls' games. We had a winless team against a middle of the pack team. I was the R with two surprisingly inexperienced partners...this isn't a complaint, since both worked hard, but I had to do a LOT of traffic cop on 3-man mechanics. But still, it's always a surprise when I'm the Big Dude In Charge.

JV game was especially challenging, since the winless school had only 6 players on the squad. Those girls were also doing enough fouling that we could have made them go the second half with 4 or even 3 girls, but we held our whistles on the the borderline stuff, and perhaps a couple of things just on the other side of the border too. Winning coach was a little annoyed, but this was a least-of-several-evils situation.

Anyway, with about a minute and a half left, winless fouled out its second player and was then stuck with four. Winning coach told my partner she'd willingly pull a kid and play 4-on-4. Partner agreed. While that is certainly a sweet sentiment by coach and partner, I had to tell partner that this was against the rule--winning team had to play with 5 or get an illegal substitution technical (and then be required to put a fifth kid on the floor after the shots). Partner went in and reversed his decision. Nice move.

Much to everyone's surprise, the Varsity game was tied after a quarter, but Winless couldn't keep it together after that and wound up losing by several dozen. We called the game properly, I think--didn't ever ease up (they pretty much didn't let us). I'm proud of my coach management from tonight. Winless coach is a good guy, polite throughout. Reasonable people are easier to deal with, but I'm still proud of how I handled some situations with him.

Case 1:

COACH: You've got to call them for keeping an arm on our dribblers! You're letting them get away with stuff you're calling on us!

ME: Coach, I disagree, but I'll look.

-Immediate silence. (For what it's worth, Winning team played pretty good straight-up defense, partners and I agreed.)

COACH: Sir, could you explain that last call before halftime? (This was early in the third.)
ME: Coach, without going into too much detail, let me tell you we talked that one over at halftime.
COACH; All right.

Oh, and one funny one, after winless absolutely creamed a shooter:

COACH: I'm not going to complain about that one.
ME: [cracks up at table]. Thank you.
COACH: Yeah, she creamed her. Nobody could complain about that one.
ME: But people do.
COACH: Well, I won't.

Nice moment overall.

The game was as good as we could make it--on the whole, it came together just fine, especially for a pair of inexperienced partners on a varsity/JV doubleheader. I won't pretend it was perfect, but I was a leader, managing personalities of coaches and partners under some tough circumstances. I'm proud of the work we did tonight.

THINGS I DID WELL: Coach management, partner management
THINGS TO WORK ON: May have let the losers of the JV game get away with just a shade too much.
NEXT: Junior high boys doubleheader tomorrow (Friday).

1 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Massref said...

Sounds like good work on a bunch of levels. As far as playing 5-on-4, the 5th player has to be on the court, but nothing says she has to actually DO anything. The coach can have her simply stand inbounds in front of the bench if he really is willing to play 4-on-4.

Did the 5th girl do much?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization