Sunday, April 29, 2007

Was Ed Montague right?

Here's the story...

In basketball, there's a correctable error rule. There are specific instances which can be fixed (mostly involving free throws erroneously being awarded or not awarded), and a deadline by which they must be fixed (the ball going live after the next dead ball). It's hard and fast.

I don't know whether baseball has that rule or not. If it does not, then I see this as having two sides.

#1. Ed Montague and his crew wanted to award a deserved run. Better late than never.
#2. The crew needs to award said run when it happens or not at all. That Orioles run was not on the board for three innings, and that run, especially since the game was close, could have impacted managerial decisions (reliever choices, pinch-hitting, etc.)

I can see the logic on both sides (again, assuming that the MLB rules do not have a correctable error stipulation). But I'm afraid that adding a run three innings later changes the game too much.

I'll be interested to see what Bud Selig does with the protest. I predict the protest is upheld.

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger tommyspoon said...

But I'm afraid that adding a run three innings later changes the game too much.

Maybe so, but wouldn't this constitute "willful ignorance"? I don't see how recognizing a mistake and correcting it is a worse outcome.

Do you think this situation is a good argument for instant replay in MLB?

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger tommyspoon said...

There has to be a point where it's too late to put a run on the board, and as far as I'm concerned, it's at the next pitch.

That's a very small margin for error. Even refs are human beings, right? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Me! - Search Engine Optimization